Infolinks In Text Ads

India’s badminton star regrets her comments about the country’s ability to host the games.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

India's badminton star Saina Nehwal says she regrets saying that the country was not yet ready to host mega sporting events like the Commonwealth Games.

"Looking at the stadiums and progress I don't really think we are capable of holding such big tournaments," said Saina, who is a brand ambassador of the New Delhi Commonwealth Games.

"I have seen many Games like Melbourne Commonwealth Games and Olympics in China. Compared to that, it is not up to the mark. But I am sure (that) before Oct 3, it will be ready and people will like it."

Within minutes the World Number 3 realised that she had committed a faux pas and, in a phone-in to television channels, apologised for her shocking statement.

"I am sorry for whatever I said. I did not mean it. The Commonwealth Games will be a huge success.

"I want to do well in front of my home crowd. I am very proud that the Commonwealth Games are being held in India. I am a little disappointed after making these comments. It is not right on my part to say it as lots of people follow me," she said.

"The players are all preparing hard and have done well in major international events in the run-up to the Games. The archers won a gold in the World Cup. It is a good sign. We will see a lot of sportspersons winning medals for India." Added Saina

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sport Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP